Welcome to the inaugural Tips on Trips and Camps Blog! Because this is the first entry, we want to address the number one concern facing parents – program reliability. We all know from personal experience that travel does not always go as planned so it is important to know how a company handles issues as they happen.
In a world that is dynamic and sometimes challenging, families must ask hard questions of summer travel companies. Because advisory services such as Tips on Trips and Camps have years of experience dealing with many programs, we know the kinds of issues that arise and can guide families accordingly.
Asking questions is the best way to discover how a summer travel company handles unforeseen challenges. In order to develop a comfort level
with a program, we recommend having a conversation with the director about the procedures they follow. Here are some ideas of questions to ask:
1) What is the communication level between the staff in field and parents?
2) What transportation methods do they use and who drives the vehicles?
3) What is the policy on alcohol/curfew, etc?
4) Whom do they consult about changing conditions in a foreign country?
5) What training and experience do leaders have and
typically how old are they?
6) How are medical and other emergencies handled
A summer advisory service helps guide families through the discovery process by giving feedback from past participants and sharing observations based on years of experience. Tips on Trips and Camps will help the family do the groundwork to make the best decision so that their child has an empowering and life-changing summer experience. There are never any guarantees that all will run smoothly but being diligent and thorough will help ensure a successful experience.